DHS Track team paints State Track Meet Purple
Congratulations to the Darlington High School Track Team! In a dizzying array of wins, the track team brought home medals and broke state records on Saturday, May 16th filling up Facebook with so many updates that they practically broke the Internet.
Just a few of the wins include:
• DHS Lady Falcons 4×100 Meter Relay 2015 State Champions: Heidi McNeil, Samone Green, Kadasia Evans, and Angel Alexiis Gale
• Girls 100 M Dash 3rd
• Kadasia Evans: 8th grader placed State Champion High Jump
• Karissa Lunn: 3rd Place in 100 Meter Dash
• Jonathan Segres: 4th place High Jump, season best of 6’4”
• Adrian Day Dos Smith: 4th Place Finish
• Tray Dubose: 8th Place Finish n 110 Meter Hurdles.
After the meet, Coach Wideman shared the following on Facebook:
“Today was an amazing day for me as a coach! My assistant coaches and I talked about the possibility of a top 5 finish if everything fell into place a few weeks ago as we started to plan for the journey to state. I am exceptionally blessed to have three assistant coaches who make me a better head coach! I was also blessed to have a senior sprinter who bought in to my philosophy early despite being somewhat skeptical. She also would become an amazing leader to a group of young sprinters with very little experience. I am also blessed to have some of the most amazing parents a coach could ask for.
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that I wouldn’t be the coach I am today if it weren’t for those who coached me when I was in high school. I was never a State champ, but I learned what it took to be a champ, passion and hard work, from them.
Today’s 2nd place finish feels like a championship, as it was so much more than we expected!”
More details from the State Meet:
• Karissa Lunn was the first female from DHS to compete in the 100 M Dash since 2009. Karissa’s 3rd place finish in the 100, as far as we can find, is the highest finish for a Falcon in this event. Karissa also competed in the State Meet all four years of high school as part of the 4×100.
• Heidi McNeil competed in the 800 M Run. She is the first and only female from DHS to compete in the 800 and 1600 M Runs. She competed in the 1600 her freshman year finishing 5th. Heidi will graduate holding 4 school records. 800-2:22.09/1600-5:25.22/3200-13:08/5k-19:31.08. The 800, 1600, and 5k times were all set in State Meet competition. Heidi was All-State as a Junior in CC and All-State as a Senior in the 800.
• DHS girls 4×100 M Relay finished in 2nd the last two years at State. For Angel Alexiis and Karissa Lunn, yesterday was a bigger deal than most. Going out on the top of the podium is the only way to go!
• Tray Dubose represented Darlington in the 110 M Hurdles; this was the 6th year in a row we had someone in the state meet in that event, and have had someone in the 110’s eight out of the last nine years. We have had two State Champions in the event during that run. Tray is among the following great hurdlers to make it to State for DHS: Will Kinard Cobia, Tre Gee, Markese Robinson, and Tray Jett