The proof is in the pudding
By Rev. Don Squires
Pastor, Temple Free Will Baptist Church
“The proof is in the pudding”…….. it’s been a very familiar phrase throughout my life. My mom & dad used it quite often. Its actually an abbreviation of the phrase, “the proof of the pudding is in the eating.” It simply means that the true value or quality of something can only be judged when it is actually put to use.
It’s the result that counts most.
● We’ve been given a command in the Bible to be filled with the Holy Spirit in Vs.18.
● How can we know (what is the evidence) that we are being filled…that we are growing in the Holy Spirit?
● Yes, the proof is in the pudding!
● The proof will be evident inwardly, upwardly and outwardly.
II. An inward evidence (v. 19) Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
What is it? Worship, Praise, Singing…making melody…in your heart…and publicly to the Lord.
● You will know that you are being filled with the Holy Spirit if you consistently have a song in your heart.
● Buddhists may have their impressive temples, and a big bellied God but they don’t have a song in their heart.
● Hindus may have their mantras, but there is no song in their hearts.
● Islam may pride itself in their morality, but where is their song?
We see Paul and Silas in a Philippian jail at midnight after being severely beaten singing songs of praise and offering up prayer to the Lord.
We may find ourselves in awful dark, painful situations, but there can still be a song in our heart even at midnight because of the Spirit of God that lives inside us.
III. An upward evidence (v. 20) Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
What is it? Thanksgiving. Giving thanks for all things unto God….
● The one who is being filled with God’s Spirit is one who is thankful for all things.
● Somebody who has an attitude of gratitude.
● We cannot stay filled with the Holy Spirit without being in a spirit of thankfulness to God for ALL things.
● 1 Thessalonians 5:18 “Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
The Spirit inside us will lead us to be thankful to the Father above (thats upward evidence) of being filled with the spirit.
IV. An outward evidence (v. 21) Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
And then there is the outward evidence. Proof in how we treat one another. Being there for others…..always!
● Submitting ourselves to one another in the fear of God is the outward evidence. In Jesus name. Because it’s the right thing to do
● Submission, each of us esteeming or placing others above ourselves. Never looking down on others. “Community Changers”
● Romans 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.
● This was never more evidenced than in the upper room when our Lord, Himself, became the servant of all and washed the others’ feet…..including Judas.
Our command is to be filled with the Holy Spirit (v. 18-21)
● In the Greek text there is no period after Vs. 18. It flows right into the next three verses show us that the proof….
● Is in an inward evidence (v. 19). We will have a song in our heart.
● It’s in an upward evidence (v. 20). We’ll be living in a spirit of thanksgiving to God. And….
● It’s an outward evidence (v. 21). We will treat others right……
● Yes, the proof is in the pudding!
Are you growing in His Spirit?