SCDMV promoting REAL ID through mobile devices
With less than one year before the REAL ID deadline, the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV) is kicking off efforts to promote REAL ID.
During the initiative, SCDMV Mobile Services will offer REAL IDs in several locations across the state. South Carolinians can find SCDMV mobile events for REAL IDs at the following locations:
• August 10, 2022 – Chester County Administration Building, 1476 J A Cochran Bypass in Chester
• August 11, 2022 – Newberry County Administration Building, 1309 College Street in Newberry
• August 16, 2022 – The River Grille Pub, 300 Country Club Drive in McCormick
• August 17, 2022 – Odell Weeks Activity Center, 1700 Whiskey Road in Aiken
• August 23, 2022 – Anderson County Library, 300 North McDuffie Street in Anderson
• August 24, 2022 – Seneca Library, 300 East South 2nd Street in Seneca
• August 30, 2022 – Pickens County Library, 304 Biltmore Road in Easley
Each mobile event will provide REAL ID services to customers from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. No additional SCDMV services will be offered at these events. The cost to purchase a REAL ID driver’s license is $25.
If you must take a driving test to renew your license, if you are an international customer, or if you are applying for a commercial driver’s license (CDL) with a hazmat endorsement, you will not be able to purchase a REAL ID at these events.
With the proper documentation, customers who are 17 years old or older can change their identification card (no driving privileges) to a REAL ID identification card for free. A REAL ID identification card for customers who are 5 to 16 years old is $15. You cannot have both a license and ID.
When purchasing a REAL ID license or obtaining a REAL ID identification card, you must provide your social security number and all of the following documents if those documents are not already on file with the SCDMV:
• Proof of Identity and Citizenship (government-issued birth certificate or valid US Passport),
• Two Proofs of Current, Physical SC Address, and
• Proof of all Legal Name Changes (if applicable).
View the United States Citizens’ Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-93) for a complete list of accepted documents.
The enforcement date for REAL ID is May 3, 2023. On and after this date, you must have a REAL ID to board a domestic, commercial flight and enter certain federal facilities unless you have a valid US Passport, military ID, or another federally accepted form of identification to show security when doing the above activities.