Moderate drought in Darlington County
The S.C. Drought Response Committee has upgraded the drought level to “moderate” for the entire state of South Carolina. Moderate drought means there is an increasing threat of a drought as demonstrated by drought indices.
During a moderate drought the Darlington County Water & Sewer Authority would request that customers consider the following steps to reduce water usage:
• Reduce residential water use to 74 gallons per person per day and a maximum of 300 gallons per household per day.
• Eliminate the washing down of sidewalks, walkways, driveways, parking lots, tennis courts and other hard surfaced areas.
• Eliminate the washing down of buildings for purposes other than immediate fire protection.
• Eliminate the flushing of gutters.
• Eliminate the domestic washing of motorbikes, boats, and cars.
• Eliminate the use of water to maintain fountains, reflection ponds and decorative water bodies for aesthetic or scenic purposes, except where necessary to support aquatic life.
• Reduce watering of lawns, plants, trees, gardens, shrubbery and flora on private or public property to the minimum necessary. Necessary outdoor watering should be done during off-peak hours.
Although these are not mandatory requirements, if all of the Authority’s customers will adhere to these requests the water supply should withstand this drought phase. If you have any questions, please contact the Authority at 843-393-8131.