Judge denies bond in murder case


By Stephan Drew, Editor


S.C. Circuit Court Judge George M. McFadden, Jr. delivered a decisive ruling on Monday, denying bond for 44-year-old Jason Edward Back, who stands accused of the murder of 36-year-old David Colby Redick. The tragic incident unfolded on July 3 along the 500 block of Wire Road in Darlington County, leaving a community in shock and grieving the loss of a life cut short.

Back is facing grave charges of murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime, and the courtroom was filled with tension as proceedings unfolded. Darlington County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Bradley Tarte presented critical information about the ongoing investigation during the hearing. He revealed a troubling detail: the murder followed an altercation between the accused and the victim just days before, during which Back had also discharged a firearm. This history of violence deeply concerned law enforcement.

“The sheriff’s office believes that the defendant is a danger to the community, and we request that his bond either be denied or that his movements be severely restricted to protect the public and to prevent him from absconding before his trial,” Investigator Tarte urged, highlighting the urgency of the situation.

Additional insights into the case came from Adam Foard of the Fourth Circuit Solicitor’s Office. Foard recounted Back’s statement to the police, which raised eyebrows in the courtroom. Back claimed he had ventured to the location where Mr. Redick resided in the early hours of that fateful morning, purportedly looking for his hairdresser’s address to give her a gift. Such an explanation seemed implausible to those present, yet it placed Back in close proximity to the crime scene. Moreover, he admitted to a confrontation with Mr. Redick, further incriminating himself.

Foard went on to reveal Back’s troubling criminal history, including two convictions dating back to 1998 for burglary and unlawful carrying of a weapon. Importantly, Back was prohibited by law from possessing a firearm at the time of the alleged murder, yet he was found to be in possession of one.

The emotional weight of the courtroom proceedings was palpable as David Colby Redick’s grieving parents addressed the judge. Their heartache was evident as they expressed their concerns about Back being granted bond. Cindy Redick, David’s mother, tearfully stated, “He didn’t even know our son. Our hearts are so broken. I will never hear my son say I love you again. So he shouldn’t have a choice. He shouldn’t get a bond.” Her sentiment was echoed by David Redick, David’s father, who pleaded, “We would love for the court to decide no bond, no bond at all.”

In contrast, Jay Ervin, Back’s attorney, argued that his client was not a flight risk or a danger to the community and should be granted bond. He pointed to Back’s relatively clean record since his troubled youth, suggesting that he had learned from his past mistakes. Ervin proposed that Back should be allowed to work, with other conditions, such as electronic monitoring, at the court’s discretion.

In a pivotal moment of the hearing, Judge McFadden, after carefully considering the evidence and impassioned pleas from both sides, made the difficult decision to deny bond for Back at this time. While the accused may request another bond hearing in the future, the judge’s decision prioritized the concerns for public safety and the seriousness of the charges against Back.

As the courtroom emptied, a sense of solemnity lingered, and the community continued to grapple with the tragic loss of David Colby Redick, while the legal process moved forward, seeking justice for the victim and resolution for all involved.

Author: Stephan Drew

Share This Post On

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This
Posts Remaining