Jane Windham’s Fresh Tomato Pie
1 frozen deep-dish pie crust
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
2 lbs. tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 sweet onion, sliced thinly and sauteed slightly
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried dill weed
salt and pepper
1. Wash, peel, and slice the tomatoes. Lay the slices on 2 sheets of paper towel. Sprinkle the slices with salt and allow them to drain for at least 15 minutes. Take another sheet of paper towel and dab any moisture from the top of the slices. This step is very important because you will end up with a soggy pie if you don’t!
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Poke a few holes in the bottom and sides of the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove pie crust from the oven.
3. Spread 1 tablespoon of mustard in the bottom of the pie crust.
4. Layer the tomato slices in the pie crust and season with salt, pepper, fresh basil, and dried oregano.
5. Place the onion slices on top of the tomato slices.
6. Mix together the cheese, the mayonnaise, and the dried dill weed.
7. Spread the cheese mixture on top of the tomatoes and onions.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the top is lightly golden.
9. Let the pie rest for about 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
See more from Jane Windham at cottageatthecrossroads.com.