Sonoco supports “Read to Success”
The Darlington County Library System received a $5,000 grant from the Sonoco Foundation for its “Read to Success” program this summer. The Library, in conjunction with the Friends of the Hartsville Memorial Library under the leadership of Coker College professor and Friends President Julia Klimek, applied for the grant to help purchase books on the public school summer reading lists.
The “Read to Success” program goals are:
• Assure there will be an adequate number of books available at any given time for a student to find at least one title from his/her school’s reading list.
• Provide a student will be able to borrow a copy of a book on the required reading list if he/she is unable to obtain a copy of a required book from the school or to purchase a copy.
• Students are encouraged to participate in the Library’s annual summer reading program as the books they read will also count for the Library’s program and its rewards and prizes.
• The Library will help reduce or prevent the “summer slide” effect in student reading abilities.
• The Library will retain all the books obtained for the project for reuse in the future for this annual required assignment.
For more information, call or visit the Library’s branches or visit their website at www.darlington-lib.org.
Darlington: 204 North Main Street, 843-398-4940
Hartsville: 147 West College Avenue, 843-332-5115
Lamar: 103 East Main Street, 843-326-5524
Society Hill: 114 Carrigan Street, 843-378-0026