Darlington County School District again offers parents choices
In an effort to give parents more flexibility and control in the educational process, Darlington County School District is offering district-wide Expanded School Choice for the 2016-2017 school year. Any student in Darlington County may apply for the Expanded Choice program, regardless of whether that student is currently enrolled in a public school, a private school, or a home school. Applications will be available online at www.darlington.k12.sc.us from January 11 – January 29, 2016.
Under the Expanded School Choice program, students who reside in Darlington County may request to attend any school in the county with the exception of Mayo High School. Mayo High School for Math, Science & Technology already offers choice as part of its magnet program and is, therefore, not included in the Expanded School Choice program. The Expanded School Choice program is independent of the AYP Choice program designed by the “No Child Left Behind” law.
Beginning January 11 and running through January 29, parents can submit Expanded School Choice applications online to the district. Applications are available online and we encourage everyone to use this method for submission. We will have limited paper applications at all schools and through the district’s Office of Arts & Innovative Programs at 120 E. Smith Avenue in Darlington.
On March 4, parents will be notified if the transfer was accepted. Parents have approximately two weeks to confirm their decision for their child to attend the choice school.
Under the Expanded Choice program:
• Choice selections will be based on space availability at the selected school.
• Student athletic eligibility remains under the SC High School League rules.
• Transportation will not be provided for Expanded School Choice. Parents and guardians are responsible for providing transportation.
• Once a child is selected to participate, Expanded Choice will remain in effect until the student completes his/her school of choice grade level.
• If a child moves into the county after the request period ends, the child must attend the school to which he/she is zoned. A parent can apply during the next choice cycle.
• It is not necessary for parents to complete an application for their child to attend the school for which they are already zoned and attending.
For complete guidelines, an application or more information, contact Darlington County School District’s Office of Arts & Innovative Programs at 843/398-2241.