Hispanic celebrity spotlight
Each year between September 15 to October 15 people observe and celebrate the unique histories, contributions and cultural influences of Hispanics.
Hispanic people are those who hail or whose ancestors hail from South America, Central America, Mexico, Spain, and areas of the Caribbean.
Hispanics have made strides in many fields and professions. Hispanic celebrities have made their mark in music, film, sports, and more. The arts have been irrevocably shaped by the talents of Hispanic artists. The following is a look at some of the many notable Hispanic celebrities.
• Rita Moreno: Rita Moreno has been a star of stage and screen for more than 60 years. Moreno, who is of Puerto Rican descent, is one of the few people to have earned an Oscar, Emmy, Tony, and Grammy award.
• Sophia Vergara: Sophia Vergara quickly made a worldwide name for herself on the popular television show “Modern Family.” Vergara, originally from Colombia, has expanded into the fashion world and, according to Forbes, earns $37 million a year.
• Shakira: Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll is a singer, songwriter and dancer who entered the English language market in 2001. She has sold millions of records worldwide and is the best-selling South American singer of all time. Like Vergara, Shakira hails from Colombia.
• Javier Bardem: Javier Bardem is part of a family of performers who have been making films since the early days of Spanish cinema. Bardem is known for his compelling and provocative roles, and earned an Oscar for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role for “No Country for Old Men.”
• Alex Rodriguez: Alex Rodriguez, known to many as “A-Rod,” is a former professional baseball player who last played for the New York Yankees. Born to Dominican immigrants, Rodriguez is now an analyst for ESPN.
• Salma Hayek: Salma Hayek is one of Hollywood’s best-known Hispanic leading ladies. Hayek, who hails from Mexico, is particularly known for a spot-on lead performance in “Frida.”
• Bruno Mars: Peter Gene Hernandez, who goes by the stage name “Bruno Mars,” is a singer and songwriter who has had a string of pop and R&B hits. Mars rose to fame in 2010 and has been riding the wave ever since. Mars has Puerto Rican and Filipino heritage.