GSSM educator nominated for National LifeChanger of the Year Award
Christopher Roberts, a chemistry instructor at the SC Governor’s School for Science and Mathematics, has been nominated for the 2018-2019 national LifeChanger of the Year award.
Student William Hobbs nominated Roberts for his passionate and effective teaching. He’s particularly known for his ability to weave research and real world concepts into his teaching, recently developing curriculum for an interdisciplinary course on the economics, history, and chemistry of coffee.
“I can’t even begin to describe Dr. Roberts’ passion,” Hobbs said. “He lights up when he talks about chemistry and engages his students in a deep conceptual understanding of concepts. His passion makes chemistry a joy for many of his students, and I have been fortunate to have learned from such an incredible man.”
Roberts is also dedicated to creating further learning opportunities for his students outside of the classroom. His current project develops connections to help them pursue research in chemistry at universities over the summer.
About LifeChanger of the Year
Sponsored by the National Life Group Foundation, LifeChanger of the Year recognizes and rewards the very best K-12 educators and school district employees across the United States who are making a difference in the lives of students by exemplifying excellence, positive influence and leadership.
Each school year, LifeChanger of the Year receives hundreds of nominations from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Seventeen individual LifeChanger of the Year awards will be given during the 2018-2019 school year.
· (1) Grand Prize Winner – will receive $10,000 to be shared with their school/district.
· (4) Grand Prize Finalists – will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
· (10) LifeChanger Award Winners – will receive $3,000 to be shared with their school/district.
· (1) Spirit Award Winner – This award is given to the nominee whose community demonstrates the most support for their nomination. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
·(1) Spotlight Award Winner – This award is given to a nominee in a specific discipline each year. For 2018-19, the Spotlight Award will be given to a nominee who works in a counseling role (e.g, guidance counselor, social worker). The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school or district.
Winners are announced via surprise award ceremonies held at their schools. The grand prize finalists will also be honored at a national awards ceremony in April 2019 in Hawaii, where the Grand Prize Winner will be revealed.
Winners are chosen by a selection committee comprised of former winners and education professionals. Nominees must be K-12 teachers or school district employees. To be considered for an award, nominees must
· Make a positive impact in the lives of students
· Enhance their school or district’s atmosphere, culture and pride
· Demonstrate exemplary leadership at the school and/or district level
· Possess a proven record of professional excellence
· Show commitment to building a nurturing environment that supports learning
· Adhere to the highest moral and ethical standards
A resource page with ideas for how to celebrate nominees can be found at lifechangeroftheyear.com/showspirit.
To view Roberts’ LifeChanger of the Year nominee profile, or to nominate, visit LifeChangeroftheYear.com.